Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Looking Back #3 Imperial Food Market

Throughout 2003-2005 I spent a lot of time in Imperial County, CA trying to understand it. Imperial Co is one of the most agriculturally important regions to the USA providing vegetables throughout the winter. It's dreadfully hot in the summer. It's polluted by pesticides and fertilizers. It hosts the southern half of the man-made Salton Sea and one of the best hot springs in the nation. It's towns act as Afghanistan for Hollywood's location scouts.

The region has a great many left over or under maintained commercial buildings that my lens gravitated towards. I loved this font and motif. No clue what use to be on the top. Perhaps a logo for a cola or brand of bread.

P.S. I'm posting this at 6AM PST as I sit, jet-lagged, in a Los Angeles hotel room. It's fun and interesting being back in the USA. Massive amounts of reverse culture shock going on. I'm documenting the trip over on my baby daughter's blog. It's her first trip to the states. Needless to say, she won't remember it, but one day into the trip and she's been having a ton of fun.

3 comments:

lasamurai said...

That's a sad desolate place now.

sleepytako said...

I could argue it was always a desolate place. Sad however is in the eye of the beholder. I find the exploitation of the people and nature sad, but the place? The place, seen as a separate entity is quite beautiful and peaceful.

Jenny Woolf said...

A bit disturbing that it is so important for agriculture yet so polluted, don't you think? Nice pic. though.